EFFECTS ON PUBLIC VIEWS AND COASTAL BLUFFS
- Public view of ocean will be completely blocked from Marquez and from Sunset in violation of Coastal Act provisions.
- Projects exceed Coastal Act density limits. The Regional Interpretive Guidelines limit the density of each project to a maximum of 24 units per acre (further density limits contained in Hillside Density provisions, which neither developer has addressed). This means that the 16990-17000 project is limited to a maximum of 28 units instead of its proposed 49, and that 17030 is limited to a maximum of 24 units instead of its proposed 49.
- Projects will alter natural bluffs in ways not permitted by California Coastal Act, which prohibits grading and alteration of bluffs, and which requires a 25-foot setback from all bluff edges.
THE PROTECTIONS PROVIDED BY THE COASTAL ACT AND LA ZONING WILL BE DILUTED FOR FUTURE PROJECTS IF EXCEPTIONS ARE APPROVED IN ORDER TO ALLOW THESE TWO PROJECTS TO BE BUILT
- Allowing Coastal Act and LA Zoning violations on these sites will create precedents for future exceptions throughout the Palisades.
- Owner of 17000 Sunset also owns two adjacent older apartment buildings which were part of one large proposed development several years ago.
- Each project will significantly increase traffic on a dangerous part of Sunset, and the addition of both complexes in close proximity will create undue traffic risks and issues.
- Increased traffic in and out of projects likely will cause bollards to be placed in the center of Sunset to prevent left turns in and out of all apartment buildings on this stretch of Sunset.
- This will result in more U-Turns at both (1) the intersection of Marquez and Sunset and (2) the lower portion of Palisades Drive in front of the shopping center.
- This also will result in more cars using Arno Way as an alternate route to PCH.
ADDITIONAL OVERLOAD ON DWP SUBSTATION
- If approved, these projects will be completed long before the new area DWP substation comes online, thereby increasing the load on the currently overburdened substation in the Village.